- How far along? 31 weeks, 6 days
- Symptoms? Bending over is a big deal. As is getting out of bed, rolling over, & walking/moving/being an active human for an entire day. I’m creaky, like my joints need a good shot of WD-40. And my first little collection of stretch marks have invited their friends over. Why can’t I have anti-social stretchies? Oh, & my balance is off. Like, WAY off. Yesterday, I was getting into the car & dropped something on the ground. Leaned over to pick it up & just kept going… literally would have fallen out of the car into the parking lot onto my head if Bobby hadn’t grabbed my leg & hauled me back. He giggled :)
- Baby-related purchases? Oh my lord, the fedex man & I are besties. He comes to visit me almost every day. That is to say, yes, we have baby-related purchases. And just this past week, Jennifer found the perfect changing table at Goodwill for $20. I already had a changing table, but it wasn’t THE perfect changing table… you know, the one that matches the crib exactly. So now I have managed to procure two cradles & two changing tables. The chosen ones are nicely painted & inside. The rejects are on the front porch. Not sure what to do with them from here… Bobby wants to just dump them at Goodwill & be done with it, I’m reluctant to not at least try to sell them.
- Maternity clothes? Oh yes.
- Sleep: I’ve been sleeping the sleep of pure exhaustion. All this mobility wears me out, dude. When my head hits the pillow, I’m out. Even the call of bladder can’t pierce the thick veil of snoring & slumbering that enshrouds me. But once I wake up in the morning, whether it’s 6am or 8am, I’m awake. Too many things to do to get another few minutes of snoozing…
- Best moment this week: I have two, actually.
1) The 3D ultrasound (once it finally happened) was super-fun — much better than the first go-around. Even though it wasn’t the most cost-effective choice, I’m really glad we went with the double u/s package. There was such a pronounced difference between them… Rose has put on a ton of weight. I mean, she’s still a squirt of course, but she’s not so sinewy anymore. And she had a little chunk to her cheeks & a little hair on her head… all new developments in the last month.
2) I called my grandma (Mama’s mama) this week just to chat, & in the course of the conversation, she brought up the fact that I had asked if she & Grandpa would come down to SC before Rose was born. She said that she was talking to Grandpa about it & he said “Why would we go down before the baby’s born? If I’m going down, I want to see the baby.” So they’re coming! In September! To see Rose! And the fact that it was Grandpa’s idea makes me feel weepy. He’s a man of few words & little outward emotion, so when he says something, it means a lot more than the average person saying something. I know it’ll be hard for them to be down here in September again… the last time was 2007 when they buried their daughter. I’m so appreciative that they’re willing to do this.
- Worst moment this week: Well, Friday kinda sucked it from beginning to end (see this post for a summary of suckage). I’ve never broken anything in a store before, & I seriously felt like crying in Home Goods with shards of glass & pieces of picture frame lying all around me. And then after they called for clean-up on aisle 14, I scurried to hide in the lamp section… I felt like there was a big neon sign that said “yep, this is the clumsy oaf that made that huge, shattering, cringe-inducing crash a second ago.” And a little lady walked up to me in the lamps & asked me if I was having twins. Twins?! Really, lady?! I’m not small by any means (haven’t been small since 3rd grade), but Dr Obgyn says my belly is actually measuring a smidge behind. I do NOT look like I’m having twins, damn it!
- Movement: Oh yes. Love it, love it, love it. And during the 3D ultrasound, it was the coolest thing… Maggie came over to tell me a story, & Rose started moving around when she heard Maggie’s little voice. So crazy that there’s already a reaction to certain people, even in-utero. She’s gonna love Mag & Sadie-Lady… can’t wait for them to meet.
- Food cravings: Nah, not really. I’m still drinking a ton of water, & yesterday I had a big thick steak that was delectable. I’ve really gotten a handle on the gestational diabetes management — the biggest problem I’m having is tracking the time. I forget to look at the clock when I start eating, & then I don’t know when to test. Dr Obgyn says my numbers look fine, though. Yay.
- Gender: GIRL!!
- Belly Button in or out? Belly button? What belly button? It’s completely smooth…
- What I miss: This past Saturday, we went to a barbeque at M&T’s house, & there was a pony-keg of Blue Moon. I longed for it. Like my mouth actually produced excess saliva when I thought about it. And then it didn’t all get drank, & Bobby had to empty the remnants into the yard. I felt like taps should have been playing.
- What I am looking forward to: This weekend is my baby shower! I’m having a baby shower! & it’s this weekend! Bobby made reservations for Friday night at a lovely historic hotel, & we’re leaving Friday afternoon for the night so the baby shower posse can invade our house to decorate for Saturday morning. The shower starts at 10:30am… I’m a fan of morning brunch showers because they don’t consume the entire day. Plus, brunch food is the best :)
- Weekly Wisdom: People are nicer to you when you’re pregnant. They usher you ahead of them in line, smile warmly when before they would have barely made eye contact, & don’t get mad at you when you break things. It’s nice, but it doesn’t seem fair. I mean, you’ve already got this insanely wonderful thing happening to you, AND people are nicer to you? There are people who deserve the nice treatment much more than me… I’m good at the moment. It was during the aftermath of Mama’s death & the miscarriages that the nice treatment would have been, well, nice. I really do wish that there was a widely recognized grief indicator that could be worn — something like a pin or an armband, something that says “I’ve lost someone (or in the case of infertility, the hope of someone) & I’m emotionally fragile. Proceed with caution.”
- Milestones: Every week feels like a milestone these days.
- Z4 is the size of: 4 oranges. Not 1 or 2 or 3, oh no. FOUR oranges.