- My grandmother. We celebrated her 85th birthday today… what an incredibly classy & elegant lady. She’s a retired English teacher & the family historian — the word “matriarch” fits perfectly. I tried to snap a picture of her without her knowledge, but you can’t really slip anything by her. Love her expression here. It’s so, well, her.
- Visiting with sister Jennifer on the ride to & from the birthday celebration. 380 miles of silly babies & sister chatter… we planned another family event (NOT at my house this time!), discussed passing bumper stickers (most confusing: “What Would Jesus Bomb?” I don’t get it), waded through a flooded McDonald’s bathroom, got lost, & still managed to arrive on time. All in all, a success.
- The urine-free kitchen. Our dogs are opposed to rain, and sometimes “forget” to go outside. It poured all day today, & I steeled myself before entering the kitchen, only to find… NOTHING. They chose to brave the rain instead of defiling my clean floor. Nice doggies.
- Susanna’s contribution to today’s family event. Well, EVERY family event. Picture this. 20 or so conservative, polite, very southern people sitting around a table. & the door opens. Sue blazes into the family dinner 20 minutes late, wearing a wildly colored dress up to her hooha, purple tights & suede boots, her hair big & curly, with bejeweled gold elephant earrings. Oh, Susanna. Life would be so boring without you.
- Maggie’s “broken” tights (that’s her word). This is what happens when you put tights on a 2yo Maggie BEFORE the 3-hr car trip. And then her feigned embarrassment when she realized Aunt Sassy was capturing her shenanigans on camera.